Extinction Rebellion Toronto is the Toronto chapter of the Extinction Rebellion movement. Extinction Rebellion is an international movement that uses non-violent civil disobedience to achieve radical change in order to minimize the risk of human extinction and ecological collapse.
We have 3 demands.
TELL THE TRUTH
Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.
how you can get involved WITH EXTINCTION REBELLION TORONTO
Below are some of the ways that you can get involved in Extinction Rebellion Toronto:
- JOIN OUR MAILING LIST – Sign up for our mailing list, so you can be kept up to date with the latest actions, orientations, and find your way to contribute to our shared rebellion!
- ATTEND AN EXTINCTION REBELLION TORONTO ORIENTATION – Come out to an Extinction Rebellion Toronto Orientation (offered twice a month). Orientation dates and times are listed on our Upcoming Events page. Wondering what Extinction Rebellion Toronto is all about? Hoping to find out how to get involved? This is a crash course on the movement’s origins and impacts in the UK, it’s demands and principles, how the Toronto group is structured and how you can join a working group or start your own affinity group and leap into action immediately.
- ATTEND NONVIOLENCE DIRECT ACTION TRAINING – NVDA training dates and times are listed on our Upcoming Events page. Nonviolent direct action (NVDA) is a powerful tool in persuading governments to make real system change. This 4-hour training will include the history and principles of NVDA, practical training, media and police interaction, role playing and legal briefing. NVDA can include very low risk actions and all are welcome to attend. Please bring a vegan dish to share, along with utensils and a plate.
- ATTEND THE TALK: HEADING FOR EXTINCTION AND WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT – Dates and times are listed on our Upcoming Events page. The planet is in ecological crisis: we are in the midst of the sixth mass extinction event this planet has experienced. This includes us. Scientists believe we may have entered a period of abrupt climate breakdown. This is an emergency, and we have a short window to turn it around. In this public talk, climate speakers from Extinction Rebellion will share the latest climate science on where our planet is heading, discuss some of the current psychology around climate change, and offer solutions through the study of social movements.
- ATTEND UPCOMING ACTIONS – We list our actions and events on our Upcoming Events page, on our Facebook Page, and in our Private Facebook Group.
- LEARN MORE ABOUT EXTINCTION REBELLION
- DONATE – Extinction Rebellion Toronto recently launched its Chuffed Campaign. Please consider donating if you are able.
- FOLLOW US